Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Riverview-Fisk Park

Riverview-Fisk Park on Ogden Avenue, on top of the Hudson Palisades, offers the best scenic views of the New York City skyline.

What is now a children’s playground at Riverview-Fisk Park, above, didn’t look like a fun place to be in the mid-1970s, below.

A monument honoring the soldiers of The Great War, on the northwest corner, is seen in the background in both photos, and below.

The plaque reads, in part, “In grateful recognition of the service rendered by the boys of this section in the World War.”

A concrete bust of Henry Hudson, the famous English sea explorer who died circa 1611, sits in the center of the park. He explored the region around New York City for the Dutch East India Co. and laid the foundation for the Dutch colonization of the area.

I also made a pleasant discovery on the southeast corner of the park—a community garden. Originally an abandoned lot, it was officially approved by the New Jersey Department of Housing as a community garden in 1995.

Riverview-Fisk Park also has a gazebo for viewing the Manhattan skyline, above, and basketball courts, below, which are mostly frequented by the neighborhood kids. In either case, I don't think you can beat the view.

I also found an old postcard, below, depicting the park, where the gazebo is clearly visible. I have no idea how old this postcard is, but judging from how the boys are dressed in the picture, I would guess 1910s or 1920s.

Incidentally, the cannon that is visible in the postcard and pictured below is not there anymore. The photograph is probably from the 1920s. Who doesn't like climbing a cannon?

16 comments:

  1. I lived in the Heights from 1961 till approx 1989, my grandmother grew up on Bowers street. I remember her telling my brothers and I that when she was a kid she put some personal item into a time capsule which was put inside the monument at Fisk park (now Riverview park).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beautiful picture at the top of the page, Park sunrise, Happens to capture my husband and dog! I love it! Any way I could get a print made from the original photo?

      Delete
    2. cindylouz: I haven't updated this blog in years. I have a copy of the picture with your husband walking the dog. Email me: pagedesigner(at)yahoo.com

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I lived at 508 palisade Ave from 1964-74. I remember it well that park brings back so many good memories.

      Delete
    5. What is your last name. I lived at 412 Palisade

      Bob Grass grassibob@yahoo.com

      Delete
    6. I lived at 508 palisade Ave from 64-74 best days of my life . We used to swing from the flag pole near the gazebo. I remember mini used to turn the fire sprinkler on in the summertime + kids I think it was from 8 in the morning to maybe 1 in the afternoon it was great growing up in the Heights

      Delete
    7. Maybe we know each other. I lived at 508 also until 1966

      Delete
    8. Butchie Figueroa had a sister loretta, brother mike, Davie
      Lived at 508 sense 64-74.
      Reach me at Feankfigueroa355@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I am really enjoying reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gazebo is unfortunately no more. It was horribly damaged during Hurricane Sandy and removed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gazebo base is still there and is a popular spot every day. The roof blew off. A new one is coming eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am the person walking my dog in the top photo in Riverview park. My name is Chris Whitlow and I owned 260 Ogden Avenue from 1999-2013. I just wanted to make you aware, if you were already not, that that image was used this morning on Facebook for an ad for a realty company. I don't know where they got the image, or if you gave them permission, but people alerted me to it because I have shown it to some friends from time to time, so they noticed it. I can be reached at chris@mpressgraphicsllc.com if you have any questions. If they did not get permission, I believe their use for commercial purposes was illegal. They have since taken the image down, but i have a screen shot of the page I can send if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added this site to my rental site for rentals in Jersey City because my listings in the Heights is close to this park http://www.jcforent.com

    ReplyDelete